Voting in the 2010 Blues Blast Music Awards began on July 8th, 2010 and ran through August 31st, 2010 on the Blues Blast magazine website. Voting is open to all Blues Blast subscribers, which is a pretty sweet deal, really, considering that they email you the zine weekly and subs are free. Voters this year chose their favorite blues artists and album from among eight different categories, and the winners were announced during a ceremony held on October 28th, 2010 at the brand-spankin'-new Buddy Guy's Legends club in Chicago, Illinois.
Last year, over 15,000 blues fans in all 50 states and 70 countries voted online for the 2009 Blues Blast Music Awards, choosing such faves as Nick Moss & the Flip Tops, Elvin Bishop, Robin Rogers and the Kilborn Alley Blues Band as winners. Nominees are chosen by the magazine's staff, music writers, managers, musicians and other industry professionals. Through a partnership with public radio station WGLT-FM, a web page has been set up so that you can listen to samples of music from this year's nominated artists.
For your consideration, here is a complete list of all of this year's Blues Blast Music Awards nominees and winners (in bold) and their categories:
Best Contemporary Blues Recording
- Nick Moss - Privileged
- Joe Louis Walker - Between A Rock And the Blues
- Mike Zito - Pearl River
- Sean Costello - Sean's Blues
- The Holmes Brothers - Feed My Soul
- Tommy Castro - Hard Believer
Best Traditional Blues Recording
- Mississippi Heat - Let's Live It Up
- Dave Riley & Bob Corritore - Lucky To Be Living
- David Maxwell & Louisiana Red - You Got To Move
- Eddie C. Campbell - Tear This World Up
- Fiona Boyes - Blues Woman
- The Kilborn Alley Blues Band - Better Off Now
Best Blues Song
- The Kilborn Alley Blues Band – "Better Off Now"
- Jackie Scott & The Housewreckers – "How Much Woman Can You Stand?"
- Joe Louis Walker – "I'm Tide"
- Mike Zito & Cyril Neville – "Pearl River"
- Pete Anderson – "Still In Love"
- Quintus McCormick – "Hey Jodie"
Best New Artist Debut Release
- Jackie Scott & The Housewreckers - How Much Woman Can You Stand?
- Alabama Mike - Day To Day
- Marquise Knox - Man Child
- Quintus McCormick - Hey Jodie
- Shaun Murphy - Livin The Blues
Best Male Blues Artist
Best Female Blues Artist
- Shemekia Copeland
- Candye Kane
- Fiona Boyes
- Janiva Magness
- Ruthie Foster
- Zora Young
Best Blues Band
- Tommy Castro Band
- Magic Slim & The Teardrops
- Nick Moss & The Flip Tops
- Rick Estrin & The Night Cats
- The Holmes Brothers
- The Mannish Boys
Sean Costello Rising Star Award
- Cash Box Kings
- Damon Fowler
- The Insomniacs
- Jackie Scott & The Housewreckers
- Joanne Shaw Taylor
- Marquise Knox