Let's face it, the blues chart for the week ending May 18th, 2013 is kind of dull...in anticipation of last week's Blues Music Awards, which usually gives winners a moderate sales boost, everything this week is pretty much the same old thing. The lone chart debut is the Spin Doctors' If The River Was Whiskey, a doubtful inclusion at best...with apologies to any Spin Doctors fans among the readership, is every hack 1990s-era alt-rock band going to "rediscover their blues roots" and release their own misguided interpretation of the music? At least Shouting Matches, an indie-rock supergroup slumming in the blues, delivered a fresh perspective on the music with their recent Grownass Man album, which manages to nicely mix new ideas with traditional blues sounds. The Spin Doctors? Meh...
This week's scheduled new releases include very cool reissues of classic soul and blues from the great Irma Thomas and R&B legend Swamp Dogg, but the real attraction on the record store shelves this week is Mud Morganfield's The Blues Is In My Blood. A proper reissue of Morganfield's self-produced Mud Morganfield with the Dirty Aces Live album, The Blues Is In My Blood was recorded live in June 2008. Morganfield was backed by U.K. blues veterans the Dirty Aces, featuring raging harp wizard Giles Robson, the singer performing ten red-hot blues standards sure to thrill any fan of the traditional side of the blues. If you enjoyed Morganfield's big league 2012 debut Son of the Seventh Son, you'll want to grab a copy of The Blues Is In My Blood.
Here are this week's Billboard Top Ten blues albums, ranked by sales:
10. Tedeschi Trucks Band - Everybody's Talkin' (Sony Masterworks)
9. Bonnie Raitt - Slipstream (Redwing Records)
8. Joe Bonamassa - Beacon Theater: Live From New York (J&R Adventures)
7. Shouting Matches - Grownass Man (Middle West Records)
6. Beth Hart - Bang Bang Boom Boom (Provogue Records)
5. Spin Doctors - If The River Was Whiskey (Ruf Records)
4. Gary Clark, Jr. - Blak and Blu (Warner Brothers)
3. Joe Bonamassa - An Acoustic Evening at the Vienna Opera House (J&R Adventures)
2. Charlie Musselwhite & Ben Harper - Get Up! (Stax Records)
1. Boz Scaggs - Memphis (429 Records)
New releases: Irma Thomas's In Between Tears (Alive Naturalsound Records); Mud Morganfield's The Blues Is In My Blood (Blues Boulevard); Swamp Dogg's Gag A Maggott (Alive Naturalsound Records)
Photo of Mud Morganfield's The Blues Is In My Blood courtesy Blues Boulevard Records