The blues chart for the week ending September 22, 2012 represents a return to the year's normal, with the Wynton Marsalis/Eric Clapton collaboration Play The Blues returning to the top ten after sleeping comfortably off the chart for the better part of a month. Joe Bonamassa's grip on the upper reaches of the chart would seem to be slipping, as his Driving Towards Daylight disc drops to number five, although the guitarist's Dust Bowl LP continues to bubble under at number eleven. Gary Clark's The Bright Lights EP shows incredible legs, moving up a spot after over a year in the top ten, while Robert Cray knocks on Bonnie's door with his Nothin But Love album.
This week offers a handful of new releases, including a couple of excellent acoustic-oriented blues collections in Hans Theessink and Terry Evans' Delta Time and Close To The Bone Unplugged from the beloved duo of Smokin' Joe Kubek and Bnois King. Probably the most interesting new release is the self-titled debut album from The Blues Broads, a distaff blues "supergroup" comprised of singers Dorothy Morrison, Tracy Nelson, Annie Sampson, and Angela Strehli. Should be interesting!
Here are this week's Billboard Top Ten blues albums, ranked by sales:
10. Wynton Marsalis & Eric Clapton - Play The Blues (Warner Brothers)
9. Albert Cummings - No Regrets (Ivy Music)
8. Royal Southern Brotherhood - Royal Southern Brotherhood (Ruf Records)
7. Hugh Laurie - Let Them Talk (Warner Brothers)
6. Tedeschi Trucks Band - Revelator (Sony Masterworks)
5. Joe Bonamassa - Driving Towards The Daylight (J&R Adventures)
4. Gary Clark, Jr. - The Bright Lights EP (Warner Brothers)
3. Tedeschi Trucks Band - Everybody's Talkin' (Sony Masterworks)
2. Robert Cray - Nothin But Love (Provogue Records)
1. Bonnie Raitt - Slipstream (Redwing Records)
New releases this week: Hans Theessink & Terry Evans' Delta Time (Blue Groove); Smokin' Joe Kubek & Bnois King's Close To The Bone Unplugged (Delta Groove Music); The Blues Broads' The Blues Broads (Delta Groove Music)
Photo of Smokin' Joe Kubek & Bnois King's Close To The Bone Unplugged courtesy Delta Groove Music