1. Entertainment

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Reverend Keith A. Gordon

Blues Guitarist Lil' Dave Thompson, R.I.P.

By February 15, 2010

Blues guitarist Lil' Dave ThompsonIt is with great sadness that we report the death of bluesman Lil' Dave Thompson. The noted blues guitarist was killed in an auto accident outside of Augusta, Georgia at 7:00 AM on Sunday morning, February 14, 2010. Thompson and his band were returning home to Greenville, Mississippi from Charleston, South Carolina where they had performed Saturday night, the last gig on a lengthy and successful tour. None of Thompson's band members were seriously hurt in the accident.

Thompson was born in Mississippi in 1969 into a blues family, his father Sam having performed alongside artists like Asie Payton, Willie Foster, Paul Wine Jones, and others. He began playing guitar at the age of nine, and was playing in local bands in his early teens. Thompson made his recording debut in 1995 with the release of Little Dave and Big Love on the Fat Possum label. Although he would literally disappear from the blues scene for better than six years, Thompson would reappear in 2002 with his album C'mon Down To The Delta.

It was with a pair of albums for the Electro-Fi Records label, however, that Thompson would make a big noise in the blues world. Thompson's Got To Get Over You (2006) and Deep In The Night (2008) would be accompanied by constant touring and critical acclaim, and would earn the guitarist a loyal and growing audience. Thompson is survived by his wife of 15 years, Susan White, and by five children. Our thoughts go out to Thompson's family, friends, and many fans worldwide.

Lil' Dave Thompson's "I Got The Blues" video on YouTube

Photo courtesy Electro-Fi Records

Comments

February 25, 2010 at 3:20 pm
(1) barry rae says:

well damn, we lost another one. Dave played up here in nova scotia (westville) just a week or to before this tragedy.Blues are big here,this is the home of the Dutch Mason blues festival (annual) with acts like buddy guy . james cotton ,shemeka copeland etc,,.

March 14, 2010 at 1:41 pm
(2) Johnny Burgess says:

What a tragedy. I got to perform with him and his band(keyboard) at the Spar Tavern in Jan this year. It was on the fly as they wanted a fourth player that night to fill out there sound a bit. i just happened to be in the audience with keyboard in my car and was asked to sit in. What a treat for me, and the band seemed to enjoy what I came up with. I was looking forward to seeing him(and maybe sitting in again) in I believe May or june when he was going to be coming back to the Spar. Rest in peace, Dave. My thoughts and prayers go out to his band, family, and friends. Johnny Burgess

October 13, 2010 at 12:22 pm
(3) destiny thompson says:

i really miss my dad……just to see him again is all i want….to hold him and tell him how much i love him…..no one knows how i feel now…..

his daughter Destiny Thompson…
Love you dad

October 15, 2010 at 9:14 am
(4) banjo says:

What a shock and tragedy. I was just listening to one of his tracks and went online to check on how he was going and just discovered this now. Myself and a mate came all the way from Australia for the Chicago Blues Fest in 2009 and Lil’ Dave Thompson was easily the highlight of the experience. He blew us away. So thankful we were lucky enough to catch him live and have some records to remind us of his passion and brilliance. Our thoughts go out to Destiny and family, I know it doesn’t get any easier.

October 28, 2010 at 6:09 am
(5) crocostimpy says:

I saw Dave and his band about a week before the accident at Cafe Nine in New Haven. This guy was a master. I filmed the whole show and have been posting it on youtube so check it out…

October 29, 2010 at 1:38 pm
(6) Richard Hancock says:

Just discovered Dave Thompson’s music… very saddened to hear of his passing. To Destiny: I share your grief… I have lost loved ones also, as most of us have. Be strong and be true to yourself.

January 7, 2011 at 11:49 am
(7) destiny Thompson says:

Christmas has passed and a new year has came…i didn get a chance to see my father…its not the same without him and it hurts really bad..never hold grudges with people because you will never kno when the last time you will see them….!! but the only thing that keeps me going is to be in the studio workin on my music wishin god cud bless me and somebody will discover me. i would love to finish wat he started

February 10, 2011 at 12:10 am
(8) Jauldy says:

I saw Lil’ Dave Thompson and his band at the Buckhorn Bar in Laramie, Wy in 2008! It was awesome to see an excellent blues guitarist in a town where the music scene is not that great. They happened to be passing through, and decided to play a show!!I loved it and bought “Gotta Get Over You” after the show. I am sad to hear that he is no longer with us, but at least I have an album to remember him by!

October 21, 2011 at 11:12 pm
(9) nikki taylor says:

well it will be coming up on 2yrs that my cousin has been gone. funny how time flies. Lil Dave was my first cousin. my mom and his mom were sisters. I was Davids #1 fan when he came to kcmo. Last performance was at the Knuckleheads. People loved him and so did I. I remember spending a summer with Dave at hi is home when we were 12 yrs old in Morehead MS, where he could play a few bars at the. I miss my cousin dearly and I know he’s in Soul heaven along with the other famous blues singers. Love you and miss you cuz. Gone to soon

November 16, 2011 at 5:29 am
(10) Bob Primeau says:

My name is Bob Primeau, I am a drummer & first met Lil Dave in Ottawa 2009 when he came for Blues fest & asked me to go on tour with he & Russel Jackson through Ontario. It was the greatest pleasure to play with him & we kept in touch & he honoured me by ringing me up in February to fly out to meet him, Big Al Hite & Mike Nuno in New Brunswick to play at the Lord Beaverbrook Hotel then to Sackville and Fables in Tatamagouche NS, Georges Road house. I left the tour to go home to Ottawa to begin another tour on the 9th of February and my heart was broken when I received the call that Dave had passed. I never had the honour of meeting his family unfortunately.

He spoke constantly of his love for his children & how much he missed them & that if I were smart I’d drop everything & go the rest of the way to his home & he’d see my belly full to the brim with the best cooking I ever tasted. I miss you Dave, I know your playing your guitar somewhere & can hear it in my mind often. To you Destiny & your family I am sorry I never got to meet you & I’m so truly sorry for your loss.

As a veteran of combat having served 27 years in the Canadian Armed Forces I understand a little something of loss. The time I spent with Dave & Al & Mike & Russel will never leave my heart or mind.

Bob “Hollywood” Primeau